Kayode Idowu, Maiduguri
The World Health Organisation has lamented that the Boko Haram crisis has led to over 20,000 deaths in nine years.
The United Nations’ organ in its 2018 Annual Report released this week said, “The ongoing crisis in North-East Nigeria has led to over 20,000 deaths in the past nine years.”
WHO also lamented that health systems were disrupted in the troubled geopolitical zone, adding that it was difficult to cope with the upsurge of treatable ailments.
It also revealed that the decade-old crisis led to increased frequency of disease outbreaks in the North-East.
WHO said in spite of the difficult environment, it had been able to provide technical leadership, coordinate health sector partners and increase access to quality health services.
It also said that two million IDPs and host community members were vaccinated against yellow fever in Borno State alone.
It also said 200,000 children were treated for common childhood illnesses, including malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea.
Meanwhile, WHO on Thursday concluded a three-day workshop on Health Reporting During Emergencies for over 40 journalists selected from Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
At the capacity building workshop held in Yola, Adamawa State, the media practitioners were taught topics including Basic Facts on Diseases of Public Health Importance in Emergencies and Redefining the Roles of Mass Media during Health Emergencies.