For the longest time, we had whispers of high capacity microSD solutions on the horizon. We have even seen the bigger SD form factor reach 1TB in capacity with our recent review of the Lexar Professional solution. With that said, we finally have in house a few new microSD cards that look to push both capacity and performance; we start with the Samsung EVO Plus.
The EVO lineup for Samsung is the mainstream tier, offering ample performance pushing capacity first. In the past, we have reviewed a few of these solutions along with the higher Pro and High Endurance products and have always come away satisfied.
With the new EVO Plus, we have capacity options ranging from 64GB to 512GB performance up to 100 MB/s read but holding 90 MB/s write as they are Class 10 and U3 rated. Compatibility includes a plethora of platforms but is directed towards smartphone, tablets, and cameras. MSRP of the Samsung EVO Plus 512GB comes in at $149.99 with a ten-year warranty.
Packaging follows their intent for this solution to be for smart devices with an Android logo front and center. Along the bottom, we have capacity along with form factor and above performance.
The back goes into more detail including warranty and durability.
As for the card itself, we have the orange and white colorway with capacity in large print. To the right, we have the full-size SD adapter that comes with.
The backside offers regulatory information and internal model number for the microSD.
As for performance, I was able to run this card through testing with the system below. In this case, I was able to reach 90 MB/s read, and 72 MB/s write.
Finishing up this review, the Samsung EVO Plus is what we expect from our microSD solutions, build quality for me has been perfect every time with no issues in testing or regular use.
Performance of this solution came in slightly under marketing at 90/72 but on par with expectations for a U3 Class 10 solution. As for capacity, up until now, the Samsung EVO Plus is the highest capacity microSD, we have tested, but we do have a few more in the pipe that may push this even higher.
Overall, the Samsung EVO Plus is perfect for adding capacity to your Android Phone or Tablet, just make sure your device can handle it before you dive in.
Tyler’s Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370 (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K (buy from Amazon)
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 4x8GB DDR4 3200 (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i (buy from Amazon)
- Case: Corsair Air 540 (buy from Amazon)
- OS Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (buy from Amazon)
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 (buy from Amazon)
- Wi-Fi NIC: ASUS PCE-AC88 (buy from Amazon)
- 10Gbe NIC: ASUS XG-C100C (buy from Amazon)
- Thunderbolt 3: ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 (buy from Amazon)
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Got an opinion on this content? Post a comment below!